15 January 2008

Wheels.

Exciting news on the home front: a short 9 days into 2008 and we became proud owners of…a new car!! Well, maybe not quite new, but our friends John and Becky did a great job making it feel new with this air freshener to give it that just-out-of- the-factory scent. It was great to be able to buy the car from friends, especially since we wouldn’t have had the first clue how to go about getting a car on the open market.

Our new chariot is a blue Peugeot 206 “3-door”, since apparently they count hatch-backs a “door”. I think if I was buying a new car I would make the dealer enter and exit the car from all 3 doors just to prove the hatch is really a door. Anyway, it’s small (apparently 3800mm long) but zippy and those French really know how to style a car. It’s got some nice curves, and two impressive though surly over-done air intake holes to let the 1.4 liter monster of an engine under the hood breathe. Most importantly, it unlocks hundreds of potential day and weekend trips in the UK, and I even hear there are ferries that will take you over to Europe in your car! Now if we could just get rid of these time-demanding jobs we could be in Hong Kong by Summer.
Realizing this weekend that 1) we own a car and 2) it’s the weekend, we headed out on our first road trip to the Welsh border town of Ludlow, to see not one, but two castles! You can’t walk to the coffee shop in this country without tripping over a castle =). Check out a few pictures of this rare sunny January day.

8 comments:

Suzanne Ehalt said...

It was great bring in the new year with you guys!! Congrats on your "new" car. And thanks for the pictures of your trip. I love the pictures you guys take! I often set them as my computer wallpaper! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love castles--wishing I were with you. Love, Jan

Lauren said...

Jan, there's a way to fix that, you know! I am dying for some members of RREALM to visit me! xx

Lauren said...

Suzanne, it was wonderful to see you!! We had a great time at New Years, and I'm so excited that you're a fellow A to A fan, that was great fun!

And wow, I can't believe that you would use our pictures as wallpaper, I'm so touched! Nick is going to get such a big head now about his photography skillz, to hear that coming from you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmmm Food for thought. Love, Jan

Anonymous said...

The pictures look great, but is there anyone living there? I only saw you two and I think a cow in the distance. No lines for those castles, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Ok, set a plan in motion, RREALM shall visit! I'd like to use the 3rd door every time I enter the car. I also need to make some 'official' measurements of your flat.

Lauren said...

YAY!!!! Candi, I'm holding you to that. Tim at work asked me today when you and Bri are going to come visit, and I said you had plans, and then everyone got excited because they had never met anyone named Candi before - you're already famous here!

I can't wait to plan the big RREALM English Reunion!