16 October 2007

Rugby for Harry, England and St George

Not that most would have noticed back in the States, but it was a massive weekend of sports here in England with both the national football (“soccer”) and rugby teams playing on Saturday. The Rugby game was the semi-finals of the Rugby World Cup against France, and it was one of the most-watched games in the history of British Sport (I think I read that means 12million viewers!).

Since England has been at war with France over most of its history, I knew the Rugby game would be big, but I got a real sense of how war-like it would be when I got this email from the Royal Shakespeare Company the day of the game:

"Cry, 'God for Harry, England and St George!'"
Henry V Act III, Scene 1

This weekend as England prepares to take on the French in the semi-final of the Rugby World Cup in Paris, ITV has called on the RSC to help set the tone for their coverage of the game.

Geoffrey Streatfeild, who is currently in rehearsals to play Henry V, will appear in ITV Sport's build up coverage on Saturday evening, performing extracts from Henry's iconic speeches delivered on the eve of battle against the French.

Best wishes,
Royal Shakespeare Company

The quotes, read during clips of monster-like men painting their faces, slamming into each other, yelling, sweating, and staring down the camera were:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us

When the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.

After that intro, performed as only a RSC actor could, I was ready to go fight for England. The game was savage, brutal, and pretty awesome to watch (even though we didn’t understand most of the rules). England was triumphant, and Shakespeare was right, after watching those guys go at it for 80 minutes, I did hold my manhood cheap. It’s strange to say, but I think we’re actually excited to watch the final against South Africa next week. We are going to miss our favorite Frenchman though, Sebastian Chabal, who had fans in the stands holding clubs and dressed up as cavemen.

When he came in for a substitution, the announcer said [British Accent]: “Hello, the 21st century Aztec is taking the pitch.”

1 comment:

Sarah Louise said...

How fun. I've never seen a rugby game. (Or gotten an email from the RSC.) I love your posts about life "across the pond." I think it's easy to think that we share the same language that we share the same culture, and the movies are for the most part written for a world audience so they don't highlight the idiocyncracies that are particularly British. Keep blogging, I'm reading!