10 November 2006

I Heart Our Library

How do I love the Birmingham library, let me count the ways (I'm not joking).....

For starters, the library was our first and best friend in Birmingham. It's just a short walk from the train station, has great hours, and free internet! It is the reason we found our flat and it was a lifeline to home at a time we had none. The movie section is fanastic - there is an entire section of Classics as well as one on Literature. We're currently working our way through the Sherlock Holmes collection.

Then I discovered the music section. It is huge, filled with cds from all walks of life. I've never seen so many international/world cd's, including separate sections for each country. It has all of those Hear music cd's that Starbucks carries and I'm always curious about but never willing to pay money for, musical and movie soundtracks, even a country music section (and NO ONE in this country listens to c&w). You can check out 8 cd's at a time for two weeks. In the past two weeks I've gotten:
-The Hurricane soundtrack
- Damien Rice "O"
- Damien Rice "B-Sides"
- The definitive Don Williams
- The definitive John Lennon
- David Gray "Life in Slow Motion"
- Sergio Mendes "Timeless"
- The best of Patsy Cline
- John Legend "Get Lifted"
- Green Day "American Idiot"
- Bing Crosby "Winter Wonderland" (the best Christmas song-singer ever)
- Radiohead "The Bends"
- Radiohead "Hail to the Thief"
- Oasis "Familiar to Millions"
- The Rough Guide to Irish Music

It is like walking into a music store that stocks everything and being allowed to take whatever you want. As a result, we're trying to expand our musical taste: who is your favorite artist? Your favorite cd? What else should we be sure to check out?

7 comments:

Laura said...

Oooooooh. Try to get the Garden State Soundtrack if they have it. That's a good one! Oh, KT Tunstill is an artist I recently discovered that I really like. (She sings 'Black Horse in the Cherry Tree'.)

Anonymous said...

Try Ludwig van. I have a feeling he's going to be with us for a while. Definitely not a flash in the pan.

Garretblog17 said...

Well that's just awesome yay for music. I would like to go ahead and reccomend some things I've been listening to recently. Richard Buckner, he's irreverant but an extremely accomplished writer and he's got a really sexy voice. also anything by Beck. Why? because Beck is like music Heroin.
Much love to you guys

Martha said...

I have to agree that Bing Crosby + Christmas Music = Awesome! My mom would always play an old tape of his on Christmas mornings - such great memories!

As for other recommendations, I recently heard Charlotte Kendrick at a bar/restaurant in Chicago. Her songs are very personal and folky - good for a lazy sunday afternoon. I think she has two CDs out. Also, try Belle and Sebastian, "The life pursuit" I like it.

I will get Kevin to post some things too. He actually remembers names of bands and songs - unlike me!

Anonymous said...

hello again...i just picked up this group called Captain while i was over there. its very cool so if you see it, ya might wanna give it a listen! and i like the Oasis choice...classic. oh! and check out Yrockonxpn.org for more fantastic tunes! especially on sunday evenings! :)

Lauren said...

Thanks, y'all! We will definitely check if the library has these selections - the only one I'm not sure about is this ludwig van guy, sounds a little "edgy". :-)

Anonymous said...

It warmed my heart to see Bing, Patsy and Don on your list. Meg and Andrew need to post, they are always finding good music. I'm enjoying Bob Dylan's Modern Times.