04 November 2007

UK Travels: Back in the Saddle

After a few weekends of rest, we’ve managed to get out exploring the UK a bit these past 2 weekends and will report briefly on our progress =). First, we joined 3 friends on a trip to the Brecon Beacons in southern Wales for a 10 mile “Waterfall hike” that was heavily hyped. It ended up being a really nice fall day and was probably one of the best walks we have done here. At one point the trail actually goes behind a waterfall, and the views from behind a sheet of water are really cool. It was perfectly laid out walk too, with a village pub right at the halfway point for some grub and a pint of ale. We posted some photos of the walk here.

Last weekend we borrowed our friend’s car again for a birthday trip for Lauren to the Cotswolds, a range of hills about an hour south of Birmingham. This region is called the Heart of England and is dotted with “cookie-tin villages”, as they call them here, which are so perfect they could go on some quaint biscuit box. We stayed one night in Broadway, which is supposedly one of the nicest towns in the area, but all of the places we visited looked like movie-sets for a quaint and charming English village. Even the names are charming…we visited Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water, Chipping Camden, and even drove through a place called Studley.

It was a pretty leisurely weekend of driving from town to town, checking out the shops and bakeries, and having morning, afternoon, and evening tea. It was an incredibly British birthday for Lauren, though we still stick out as pretty clear tourists with my sneakers and our American clothes. We should have come on horseback wearing a traditional plaid ridding hat and bonnet…if we managed to avoid speaking we might have been able to fool the locals. Oh well, we’re yanks in the UK and proud of it =). Here's some pics of that adventure in Britishness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren! Just wanted to let you know that I sent you an email a few weeks ago but I wasn't sure if I had the right address (I sent it to a gmail address I had). If you use a different email now, let me know and I can forward. Glad to see everything is still going well! Hope to hear from you soon.

~Taylor

Kevin and Amy said...

I admit it. I dream of being featured guests of the Burdettes. I love looking through all your pictures and learning about the THOUSANDS of friends you guys have! I guess it pays to live so close to Needless Alley!

Anyway, that birthday trip looks like the Experience of a Lifetime. Well, maybe that was the Iceland trip. Or the Paris trip. Or the Wales trip. Good heavens, you yanks really get around!

The two of you continue to inspire and warm the heart, even from Bloody Ol'. Thanks for your loyal patronage at our blog and thanks for your faithfulness in posting and keeping us all updated!

You both look fabulous (somehow the climate becomes you!) and you're pretty much the funnest couple I know.

Cheers!

Laura said...

I may be a little slow, but I love the new banner at the top of your blog! Fantastic!

Laura said...

Sorry to post a second comment on the same entree, but I just looked at your pictures - Cotswolds looks awesome! I love it! I have to agree, you two are starting to look British....

It's OK northern people keep saying I'm starting to sound Southern... Looking British is MUCH better - LOL!

Miss you two crazy Yanks!

Lauren said...

Taylor, I am so sorry, I wanted to do your email justice and write you an epic response, which I'm being embarrassingly slow with. I promise you will here from me soon.

Laura, thank you so much for noticing the banner, it's quite new and a project of Nick's (no surprise there!), so he is so touched that you liked it. And you're getting an accent?? Yikes, that's really funny! I can't wait until the next time we talk to hear that in action.

Lauren said...

Amy, you are amazing. That is the sweetest and kindest post ever. If I wanted to get a big head I would just sit here and read it over and over all night. Which actually, isn't such a bad idea...

You could turn your dream into a reality!! What are you and Kevin doing for Thanksgiving? You could join us here if you like, or 2008 works for us as well.

I also have to say that we are very, very, very aware of how loved and privileged and blessed we are to have had so many visitors and done so many amazing things. Often we can't believe it ourselves!