01 November 2007

English Lesson #1

I'm hoping this will be a running feature, with whatever new 'English' word or pronunciation I've learned. Then your challenge could be to use the word in a sentence, or try out the Brit pronunciation in a posh voice and impress (amuse? annoy?) your friends.

Today's lesson: whine and whinge are two different words with almost the same meaning. For years, whenever someone would 'whinge' in whatever Agatha Christie book I happened to be reading, I pronounced it in my head as whined, chalked it up as a typo or crazy British spelling, and moved on. But no - whinge rhymes with binge, is almost interchangeable with whine, but as Tim, co-worker and guest-blog-writer-extraordinaire, put it 'kids whine, adults whinge.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great new feature. I always wondered about this, too, when reading Agatha. So, if adults whinge, is it any less annoying than when kids whine?

Lauren said...

Thanks, mama! And welcome back from South Carolina!!

I actually think it's more annoying, because at least with kids there's the cute factor to make up for it a little bit. I was also wondering if there are any clever sayings about whinging, along the 'would you like some cheese with that whine?' train of thought. I haven't heard any yet...